Monday, February 25, 2013

Memory Book

When my dad's best friend passed away (eerily exactly a year before my dad died) I made his wife a little book that was full of things that Larry loved- his kids names, his grandkids names, his hobbies…I included some amazing poems by the amazing Brian Andreas.  If you don't know if his work I highly recommend you check it out.  His work-StoryPeople- is quirky but always so meaningful.

My mom's friend Judi's mother passed away in December and mom asked me to make a similar book. While it is always harder when I don't know the person, I managed to make something I think is pretty and hopefully Judi will enjoy.

I made the book on my Cricut using papers by Amy Butler (K&Company).  The 5x5 Album with Box is a digital file from Lori Whitlock available here.
The box is made from cardstock.  Because it is a box- and the mini album fits snuggly-the first box actually ripped on the edges after it was pulled out and in a few times. I recut the box, left off the decorative pieces because the paper was so beautiful and covered ALL the edges with Tissue Tape.  Hopefully this, and careful use, will keep it from ripping again.
The letters for MOM were cut on Sizzix Alterations Word Play die- a favorite of mine.

Cover- I covered the "binding" edge of the book with mt brand silver washi tape- a favorite of mine- I love how it shines and it looks so beautiful on anything and everything.  I made the tassel using some silver thread I've had forever.  The metallic thread is very stiff so I used a drop or 2 of Glossy Accents on the knots to ensure it doesn't come untied.  The flowers were cut using Alterations Tattered Florals. Idea-ology Accoutrements buttons and a flat-backed pearl became the flower centers.  Idea-ology Tissue Tape, an Idea-ology Word Band, a small Divine Twine bow and more pearls complete the cover.
Page 1:   Includes a Brian Andreas poem called Butterflies:
StoryPeople
Brian has no problem with changing the gender of his poems and in fact you can order his products with either gender.  The page was left very clean with only an Idea-ology heart held in place with a Divine Twine bow.

Page 2:  Includes her mom's name and a place for a favorite photo.  I ran a length of redline tape along the bottom of both pages and covered it with White Gold Martha Stewart Fine Glitter…my favorite glitter- and you know that is saying a lot.
Page 3 and4:  I added her family information hand important dates (I did block out last names and dates since I didn't have anyone's permission to add it however all the info was obtained from public obituaries).  I used a combination of Idea-ology Alpha Parts (painted with silver Paint Dabber), black label maker tape, and computer print (with a variety of fonts) to add the information.  All the edges were inked and I added rhinestone and pearl embellishments.
Page 4:  Another space for a treasured photo.  The page was kept simple with an Idea-ology Ornate Plate and black label maker tape.
Page 5:  Is devoted to journaling a special memory.  I made a journaling tag and envelope using Alteration dies (Tag and Tie and Pocket Envelope).  More label maker tape, Tissue Tape, pearls, and rose ribbon completed this page.
Page 6: A simple page for a photo with only a sparkly brown ribbon (Making Memories) and the beautiful Amy Butler paper.
Page 7: I used a glassine envelope to hold paper embellishments that symbolize things she did with her life and/or loved.  I fussy cut the images and placed them loosely in the envelope.

  • A Cross I printed off the internet to represent her deep faith. 
  • An old advertisement for beauty school also printed off the internet to represent her career
  • A rubber stamped doily to represent her love of crochet
  • A rubber stamped airplane to represent her work during WWII at an airplane factory

The final page includes another Brian Andreas poem Thousand Moments:
I still remember the day the world took you back & there was
never time to thank you for the thousand scattered moments
you left behind to watch us while we slept. 
StoryPeople

The final embellishment for this page is an Idea-ology clock from Time Pieces and 2 Game Spinners and another line of the pearls.  All of the cardstock pieces in this album were inked using Distress Inks.   

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful Danee,what a nice treasure for your Mom's friend.K

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful piece. I'm sure it will comfort your mom's friend.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...