Monday, August 20, 2012

Rhinestone Frosting Birthday Cake

Late last week I received a very nice email from LeeAnn asking me how to make the cake card I had posted on Pinterest.  I didn't have a tutorial but I promised her I would make one.  So here it is Lee Ann:
 1.  Start with your basic card: I love to send cards in 6x6 envelopes so I cut my base 12x5 3/4 
2.  After I fold the card in the center I like to lop off the open ends to make the card 
5 3/4 x 5 3/4 inches.  Use a bone folder to make the folds very crisp. 
3.  I used a piece of Heidi Swapp's Color Magic which I colored using Dried Marigold  Distress Stain.  
4.  I inked the edges using Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink and a Ink Blender Tool. 
To make the TABLE.  I embossed the table.  Luckily, I snagged this Daily Junque stamp set from House of 3 and Pink Paislee which comes with a tables and several cake plates.  You certainly don't have to have the table;  you can simply make the cake or freehand cut a plate or table.

5.  Ink the stamp using Distress Embossing Ink, stamp in place and sprinkle with embossing powder.  Be sure to catch excess powder on a clean sheet of paper and pour it back in to the jar.  I chose to use this fun Orange from Zing but you can use any color you like.
6.  Heat Emboss.
To make the CAKE.  Chose 3 coordinated colors for the layers.  I like to use 3 different color/designs but you could certainly use the same paper for all the layers.  
6.  Cut one piece 2 1/2x1-inch; cut one piece 2 1/4 x1-inch; and cut one piece 2x1-inch
7. Ink the edges as desired.  I inked all 3 papers with Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink using an Ink Blender Tool.  
8. Attach the 3 layers as shown using double stick tape. 
To make the FROSTING: 

This is the secret to the entire project.  
They are simply called Adhesive Rhinestones and I purchase them at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.   They come in many colors and color combinations so you can coordinate or contrast the frosting to the cake layers.  
9.  Begin with the bottom layer.  The strip is self-adhesive so just apply over the seam between the two layers.   This string is just slightly too big.  
 10. To get the frosting to fit better simply cut off the end that overhangs the cake layer.….be sure to leave enough room for the large pearl to fit back into the space and yet still end at the correct spot.  Getting the fit correct is the difference between a  professional result and something that looks very amateurish.
11. Remove the final large pearl (or rhinestone) from the piece you removed and attach it back in place as below. 
 12. The completed layer should looks like this. 
 13. Repeat with other two layers. 
14. Take the extra little pieces you cut off and pile some on top of the cake. 
That's it.  Pretty cool…I've made a bunch of different cakes for a variety of different celebrations.  Sometimes I add rub--ons.
This card is more detailed.  The table is a wood piece from the Daily Junque collection.  It was colored with Dried Marigold Distress Stain and coated 3 times with  UTEE.  The cake is made the same way as above.  The presents and banners add such a playful feel.  The sky is the limit to how fun this card techqnique can be.  

This project has been Linked to the following Linky Parties:

Just Us Four
Tea Rose Home


Laters Baby….

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to have your tutorial on your cake cards. I am going to do this for my daughters birthday. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! So much fun and so festive. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...