Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July Rosette Garland Part 3


Happy 4th of July!

For my patriotic home decor I made a fun 3-piece garland and the third piece was this prize ribbon garland.   You can find part 1 here and part 2 here.

Originally this project was a gust post on Broken Treasures blog BEFORE the holiday.  While it is past the 4th now, this type of garland can be made for any theme or holiday.  Stick with the Red, White and Blue and it can be used for the 4th of July, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Veterans Day, or a Military "Hail or Farewell".
 Right now I am in love with rosettes and prize ribbons of any kind. They look terrific strung together to make a garland.   The inspiration for this garland is the red, white and blue Air Mail Divine Twine that I bought from Whisker Graphics.   As soon as I saw the Twine I knew I had to make a red, white and blue garland. 

For this garland I made 8 prize ribbons.  You can make 8 different prize ribbons or stick to one design and make 8 copies.
 I used Tim Holtz Alterations Rosette and Mini Rosette dies but you can use a scoring tool or if you are careful you can just fan fold the paper.   The rosette die is fabulous but sometimes it leaves the score lines very fragile and they tear easily.  Tim Holtz recommends using Tissue Tape on the BACK of the die cut to help keep the score lines from ripping though.
While I thought the idea was great, I decided to use the Washi or Tissue Tape as a design element and keep it on the FRONT of the die. 
 Sometimes it doesn't show by the time I add the embellishments but other times it really adds a fun look to the rosette.
Here you can see (from left to right) the red and light blue polka dot paper with a blue and white striped Washi; red paper with blue and white polka dot Washi; and blue and white striped paper and red and white striped Washi.

To decorate each rosette I add glitter, rhinestones, tinsel, and/or pearls.  Really anything goes; use your imagination.  To add even more detail use a hole punch for an eyelet effect or an edge punch for even more design.

I hot glued the prize ribbons to the Twine then I used a 2-inch circle punch and scrap paper to punch 8 circles that were then hot glued over the back of each rosette.

Laters Baby….
DanĂ©e.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments...