Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Halloween Tags

I thought it would be nice to show close ups of all the tags I decorated.  They are scattered throughout the house; most are standing in vintage frogs.  I did find tiny frogs at Michaels if you want to forgo the vintage route.  The vintage frogs are all beat up- if that isn't your look then head to Michael's. 

This tag, on the mantel has an orange flag cut from patterned paper, a moon brad, part of a rhinestone spider web, and black glitter.  The candle in the background is covered with silver glitter- it is reflecting the light from the flash making it look like a disco ball.

Again I used glitter on the bird and the word "Vampire".  I added the little butterfly circle with a pop-dot behind it.  There is a silver line spider web on the bottom.  Love that detail. 

I've wanted to make potion bottles for several years now.  I bought the bottles last year at an antique store but I couldn't figure out what I wanted them to look like.  This year I started crafting in September and got the bottles out early, sure that I would be able to make amazing potion bottles.  There are lots of PNG or JPEG files available for sale on Etsy or other web sites but I wanted to make them myself.  As the month went on, I kept finding other projects to do and no matter how well intended I was when I started each day, I couldn't get started on them.  Finally, after tripping over them for 6 weeks, I decided it wasn't that I didn't want to decorate them, it was that I din't want to make potion bottles.  I adore the ones I've seen online but I"m not a "potion label" kind of girl.  Instead i just doecrated the bottles in a Halloween-y way…. and I LOVE them all.  
Close-up of the bottle on the mantle.  I added large circles made from book paper and inked
with Black Distress.  The label was made with png files printed out on Presentation Paper.  I added the
silver circles, the letters to spell "BEWARE:, inked all the edges and added the black sequin trim.

Although you can't see it, I glittered the entire cap of this bottle.

This tag was one of two original tags I was working on when I wanted to make the potion bottle labels.  I just coudln't get it to look like I wanted it to so  igave up and kept it as a tag.  I made it with the brushes from Rhonna's Spooky Junque.  The kit includes png files as well if you aren't into Photoshop. I added glitter, rubber stamps, ink…

This tag started as a House of 3 tag I had from last year.  I added the bat die cuts (Sizzix Bats) that I inked (I used Black Distress on EVERYTHING I made) and covered with Glossy Accents.  I waited until the glossy had dried a little and started shaping the wings so they would be more 3D.  I glittered the edges and details and added tiny buttons.  There is gathered black tulle running along the bottom of the tag.
I tied a big bow with several loops around the neck and then cut the loops open and fluffed.  



I ADORE this bottle and it was the most thrown together.  I added a pre-made pearl swirl from Prima, a glittered "magic" tag, ribbon, and a simple but beautiful flower I made with black crepe paper (the kind you get for kids birthday parties) that I edged it with glue (by drawing a  Martha Stewart glue pen across the edge) and glittered silver.  I cut a small length and hand stitched a running stitch along the bottom which I then gathered and tied off.  A vintage bead in the middle and Wala!  A beautiful, simple, flower.  In the picture to the right you can see I also added a swig of the branch I used on some pumpkins. 
This isn't a vintage bottle but I loved the simplicity of it.  I made the tag again with the png from Rhonna. This time I added some orange ink ver the flowers.  I just used a piece of sponge and sort of swirled it one.  I wanted some color but not dark or perfect.  I added more silver glitter circles I cut with a punch and a flower I made with tulle cut in circles freehand and stacked off center.  I put a sparkly orange brad in the center and started pulling and twisting the tulle.  


Two quick pictures of a wreath I made for my mom from a Martha Stewart Kit.  Super easy and I love the way it looks. 


Laters


2 comments:

  1. I really do enjoy your Halloween decorations. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popped over from Polish the Stars and I just love your creations! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...